Friday, May 14, 2010

My Least Favorite Subject: Rosecea

This time last year, I woke up one morning with pimples and redness in my face. I really didn't think anything of it and figured it would just go away. Time had gone by and I noticed my face becoming red, shiny, tight, pimply, dry and at times oily. I realized something was wrong but for some reason I just really thought it would go away.

Jump forward to January 2010 - the skin problem didn't go away and I knew I needed to do something. I began to accept the fact that I had Rosecea. Rosecea is a chronic disease which appears as usually first appears as subtle reddening on the face. Over time this may develop into some inflammation and be accompanied by skin eruptions. This skin condition usually appears in people between the ages of 30-60 and although the reasons as to why rosecea happens it it thought to be due to lifestyle, diet and stress. Stress, CHECK! However I do admit to having an addiction to pasta, carbs and bread.

I started seeing Dr Cori from the Healthpoint Nutrition Center for the chance to change my body in a holistic way. Dr Cori inquired about my skin and stated that she can help me with that.
I began to cut flour and sugar out of my diet, a difficult task but manageable. I learned to live with the fact that my ex-husband is who he is and I couldn't allow him to stress me in the way he has. Besides the reality is I am stuck with him since we have a son together. So I better learn how to manage or I will be one big pimple head for another 13 years!!

I also do not like using chemicals on my face or body, externally or internally so I contacted Sheri from Paradise City Herbal in Northampton, MA. Sheri makes amazing skin loving products using the herbs she grows organically in her garden. I thought her Sunshine Cream could help ease my discomfort and tightness that I was experiencing. About 3 weeks have gone by and I can honestly say that I haven't felt better. I still have pimples and experience shyness and fear about going outdoors with this "stuff" on my face but the feel of my skin is incredible. It isn't tight, dry or irritated. A little of this cream does go a long way so I know I will have this product for a while. I thank Sheri for being an incredible formulator and lover of nature. I hope to visit her one day on one of my many excursions. Please check out her website and tell her I said HELLO!

XOXO
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I just thought you might try an aspirin mask. I use them every now and again and they really get rid of redness. The internet is full of different recipes, but it's basically a few aspirin, some yoghurt(or cream/milk) honey and aloe vera if you have it. It's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew of an aspirin mask. I will check it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback Ambra.

    ReplyDelete